With 2021 drawing to a close and a brand new year full of opportunity on the horizon, now is the perfect time to consider your fitness future. The upward trend of dog ownership in the United States over the last decade shows that more and more people are seeking out furry companions to bring into their homes. Of course just as we humans, all dogs need exercise each and every day! The great outdoors offers endless opportunities for you and your most trusted companion to spend quality time together. Even better? Doing so will make both of you healthier and happier overall. Here are 10 reasons to exercise with your dog in 2022!
1. Dogs love it! Physical exercise is a natural and instinctive behavior for dogs and fulfills their needs to be active and busy. Regularly engaging in physical activity with your dog can drastically improve their quality of life by stimulating mental processes, strengthening the bond between owner and pet, and relieving stress.
2. It's good for us too! Exercise helps build stronger bones and muscles, can boost mental health, improves sleep patterns, increases energy levels, reduces the risk of many chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes, and overall gives us more enjoyment in daily activities.
3. You can choose from a multitude of activities! It doesn't matter whether you are an avid hiker, enjoy giving your dog free reign to roam through the woods, or prefer staying close to home, there are plenty of opportunities for both owner and pet to get out and active together. Here are some fun exercises to get the ball rolling such as health clubs, doggy day care, dog parks, jogging with your dog, dog sports (agility, flyball), group hiking trips, and urban walks to explore new areas of the city.
4. You'll save money! Let's face it, when we look for activity partners for ourselves or our pets, we're usually thinking about the pocketbook first and foremost. Dogs are an inexpensive form of exercise that can provide just as much benefit to humans as more expensive fitness options. Although there are special health clubs for dogs that offer boarding, training, daycare, and other amenities - these can be an option if you have the means. But regular play dates with dog owners in your neighborhood or socializing at a local dog park can keep your pet active without breaking the bank!
5. More options to get out of the house! Exercise is a great way to socialize with other dog owners or let your pet have some time off-leash in an appropriate setting while still having fun. It's also a good way to meet new people by taking your furry friend on hikes with friends, joining online communities where you can find fellow enthusiasts, or making use of local dog day care services that are popping up all over the place.
6. You'll feel better about yourself! For many of us humans, exercise is not only beneficial for our physical health but has positive mental effects as well. It can make us feel more attractive, increase self-esteem, and boost confidence.
7. You'll have fun! The important thing from a dog's perspective is that you are both enjoying yourselves. Make sure to plan activities that you both look forward to and work at keeping it a positive experience.
8. You can do it anywhere! Exercising with your dog makes you independent of any particular location or equipment that might be available at home. It doesn't matter whether the weather is nice outside or if you have to travel across town, being active is beneficial no matter where you are!
9. Crush your New Year's Resolution! Exercising with your dog daily can help you stick to your New Year's Resolution to get fit and healthy in 2022! Furry companions can serve as excellent accountability partners when working towards a fitness goal. Take the time to set some long-term and short-term fitness goals for both you and your dog based on your lifestyle, skills, interests, and current level of fitness. Once you've created a solid list, be sure to monitor progress and check them off as you go along by keeping an active log. You may be surprised by just what you and your pup can achieve together!
10. It's a great bonding experience! Whether it's in the backyard or in the woods, you'll be spending quality time with your dog, enjoying their company, and getting them out of your hair for a while - all while doing something good for both of you!
Always Essential Dogs and its Alwaysessentialdogs.com website and social media accounts provide general canine information for the express purpose of educating and entertaining readers. The information is provided for the sole purpose of enhancing the user’s knowledge and understanding of dogs. This information is in no way intended to be used to diagnose, direct treatment for, or as a prognosis of any health condition of any animal and should not be used as a substitute for obtaining professional veterinary advice in a specific situation.
Never disregard veterinary advice or delay in seeking it. If your pet is showing any signs of distress or you suspect your pet is seriously ill, CONTACT YOUR VETERINARIAN immediately.